Saturday, May 8, 2010

35 years of love

Hello, Hello everyone. I have missed blogging. Our computer has been messed up and my sister is letting me borrow one of their laptops while ours gets fixed. Thanks Jen! I know some of you already know but in April Jen and I threw mom and dad a surprise anniversary party and next post will be all about it. I just thought it would be fun to share their love story with you all.
I think it is pretty fantastic!
My dad was a roadie with a band called " The Charlie Pride band" He ended up in Virginia and at a party met my mom. She was 15 and he was 21 years old. Only dad thought she was 18... I think. My mom fell madly in love at first sight and my dad thought she was HOT. I love to hear them talk about it because mom like most women remember every single detail, dad remembers she was HOT. For months they spent time together with mutual friends and before dad knew it he like mom was in love. After months of late night parties and sneaking out the day came where my mom was caught..... literally caught by my Mam-Maw hanging from the rain gutter of the second story of her child hood home. Then began what is and was always described as a long battle of wills between my mom, dad, Papa, and Mam-Maw. There were gun shots fired, run aways and in the end a shot gun wedding. On April 22. 1975 my dad and mom drove to charlottesville North Carolina to be married. My mom was 17 and my dad was 24 years old. From what I understand a tearful following by my Mam-Maw and Aunt Sissie to the wedding was behind them. In the end my mom was married in a lime green mini skirt and hopped on the back of dad's motorcycle to go back to Virginia and start a life together. The only memory she
has is the dress which my sister and I grew up playing dress up in. The pictures that had been taken by the justice of the peace that married them dad put in his pocket and somewhere between North Carolina and Virginia they were lost. Years of struggles and heartache followed. However, my dad quickly won over my grandparents and on my papa's death bed my dad was given all of his most treasured items because he knew day would cherish them. Mom says dad was the most thick headed person she had ever met and dad says she was a Brat. Pictures prove that with out a doubt before mom and dad were members of the church they lived like the were NOT members of the church. To hear the people the were is crazy, but to know the people they have become is amazing. I am so blessed. I always watched as my parents, loved and laughed and kissed and hugged, they fought and cried, and they smiled and snuggled. No matter what they did- they did it together. Neither of them had that same example in their own life in fact there were not many examples of true love in either one of their life's growing up so to think about my constant example of love and happiness is even more of a wonder.
I love you mom and dad. I love that when the time came for me me choose my kind of happiness. The love you shared made is easy for me not to settle for anything less than breath taking. I love my husband and my family. Thank you for teaching all about enjoying life. I love you! Happy belated 35th wedding anniversary.


Mom and Dad in their first year of marriage






1 comment:

Kelly said...

WOW that was so Fun to read. What a Crazy ride they have taken! Yet what a Turn around they have taken and made such a wonderful life for them and all of you. I loved the photos... wish I could see the Green mini skirt! I love them! Miss them! What wonderful people! Blessing the lifes of so many people in Middleburg! and all the others like us that have moved away! Happy 35 with Many More to Come!