Saturday, May 8, 2010

We got her!

April 17th Jen and I planned and successfully accomplished a surprise 35th wedding anniversary party for my mom and dad. Way back in October of 2009 Jen and I had the idea but were hesitant. At their 30 year anniversary Jen and I had started planning a party and dad found out and said "please, wait" so we did. This time Jen and I were not going to let his party pooper ways stop us. We called dad and asked to have lunch with him. We brought the grand kids for reinforcements and told dad our plan. To our surprise dad said he thought it was a great idea and the only catch was the he pay for it..... which was not really a catch. We chatted, dad gave us a budget, and then we were off planning. For months Jen and I kept the secret..... which is AMAZING! We contactCheck Spellinged all of the family. Moms family from Virginia came down. One sister Kathy and Niece Leigh came early to keep her busy while we planned and set up everything. The other sister Ginnie and my uncle Roger (which was married to my Aunt Sissie who is now passed away) were hidden and saved as a extra surprise. On the day of the party dad and I set up for up for mom to go have a day of pampering at a spa. Then against mine and Jen's judgement. Dad told mom he was taking her later that night to a dinner theater so she would get all dressed up. (Dad and a dinner theater had mom wondering what was going on) on the way dad said he needed to stop and pick something up at the church. My smart hubby had the idea of parking all the cars on the far side so when they pulled up she did not see a single car.... which threw her off. When she came in we all yelled surprise and her reaction was perfect.








We all cried that we actually made it happen. We got her and since dad's only part in the party was getting her their and writing the checks he was surprised as well and everyone we got there and all that we had done.




The last surprise we had my Aunt Ginnie wait outside and had taken a picture of her and my uncle in the room all decorated and gave it to mom. I said " you have family that wished they could make it so they sent this instead" Mom stared at it then said " who's wedding was blue and brown , oh my gosh she is here" Then Aunt Ginnie came out of hiding and mom ran to her and crying. IT WAS PERFECT! Even if she was not completely surprised about the party we totally got her with Aunt Ginnie.





















My Brother is a wonderful cook. He could have his own restaurant and people would love it. So for food we asked on the invites instead of gifts to bring a finger food and then Robbie did a fajita bar. He made chicken, pork, steak and marinated them all by scratch. Then did the same with salsas and dips. It was yummy!









All the family was so excited to see each other we all crammed into one long table and ate and laughed all together.






















Sister Wheeler one of my mom's best friends made the cake for mom and dad and it was adorable. She was extremely busy that weekend so her making it was a true labor of love. Thank you, so much.











We made mom and dad do the traditional stuff like cut the cake. I have to say my parents are great examples of love. After 35 years look at those smiles and the laughter they share. I am so lucky that my kids get to enjoy in all the love they have to share.













Dad totally smeared cake all over her "spa makeup" She was not a happy camper.















Here are some of the decorations. I was tired when we were all done, however I was really proud of myself. It was beautiful.















There were 2 different centerpieces and 12 table so 6 of each. This centerpieces had 3- 2 sided picture tents. That were decorated simply. With a flower arrangement in the center. My sister was the champ. She copied and shopped and I worked. It was the perfect arrangement.

















The second centerpieces were done on a painters canvas painted and scrapbooked up with 2-2 sided picture tents on each side. Jen came up with each table having a theme. We had a table for Debbie, Bob, them together, family pictures threw the years, our big family Disney trip, Robbie, Mandi, and Jen, grand kids, family and friends, and more. Then Jen put all the pictures together for a slide show so that everyone had the chance to see what was on the other tables. Thanks you to Erin and Jason Howle- she came over and helped work on the centerpieces and Jason found a projector last minuet when ours fell threw. Thanks!
















Our great friend over at http://jarvisphotography.blogspot.com/ took all these amazing pictures that you see and to NO surprise THEY WERE BREATH TAKING. When my mom saw them she called me crying she was so happy and thrilledto have it all so beautifully captured. If you read the blog I did the other day about their love story, you know why that meant so much to her. She does not have a single wedding picture. Thanks for giving these moments to my mom Katheryn. I can never tell you how much it means to me and what it means to my parents.

I love this Family photo she snagged of my little family.

















All 6 grand kids at the end of the night. 2 words - Dirty and Tired!



















All the family that was here -all together.

It was a perfect day. Thank you to everyone that brought something or did anything big or small to help it come to life. It was a day our family will never forget and Thank you all for helping it come true.

To my mom and dad.... Thank you for showing how fantastic life, love, and marriage could be. You had plenty of reasons to be a victim of hard times but instead you loved and best of all you did it together and for us. I love you and words can never tell you how amazing I think you both are. We will do it again at 50 years!




















1 comment:

Katheryn said...

You guys really did get her good! Thanks for such a nice endorsement. I loved taking pictures for the party. It was just beautiful. Your decorations were PERFECT!